Saturday, October 23, 2010

Musical Storylines & Eureka Moments

I'm trying to tell you guys, I'm amazing. (... and I'm modest too! Hardy har har ...)

This may be a bit of a rambler, but there'll be good music along the way so ... yeah!

Once upon a time, I fell in love with a song.



Whenever I fall into this kind of love, I tend to go on relentless pursuits for any and all similar/related material. Bonobo I'd heard of before, but Nostalgia 77 was new to me. So I dug around on youtube, liked what I heard, and decided to see if the library had any of his/their CDs. They didn't, but they did have a movie soundtrack that featured a Nostalgia 77 remix. I really like finding mixes & compilations, because that means more new stuff to find - Eureka!!!

While listening through the disc for the first time, a familiar guitar riff caught my ear ...



Turns out it's a cover ...



... but what I recognized the riff from was a song my sister hipped me to, and it goes a little something like this ...



Whilst expressing my love for Glass Candy's version, my guy (who is far more well versed in old school hip-hop than I will ever be) told me that the track came from the Geto Boys' "My Mind Playing Tricks on Me."



So there you have it - the interconnectedness of music and my amazingness for randomly stumbling upon it all. Now I'm off to investigate this El Michels Affair business ... Maybe I'll be back in a week or two with another musical storyline for you ...

Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment